West of St. George and coterminous to it is a historical area known as Snug Harbor, New Brighton. It was here where many affluent and influential families and figures use to live. This is where the “million dollar wall” strongly grounds and lines itself below the eloquent and sub-rural Richmond Terrace. This wall was built in 1890 to separate the growing rail yards from the Terrace, which is now home to the majestic Snug Harbor Cultural Center. Riding along Richmond Terrace coming from the west of the Staten Island Ferry Terminal is the rhythmically lined, gated waterfront of Richmond Terrace on the right and on the left is the old St. Peter’s High School for Girls, which was recently converted to P.S. 59 in the fall of 2013. The Gothic and unassuming building leads further up the hill to the tree lined St. Mark’s Place, which holds the 1839 St. Peter’s Church and a series of Historic homes built and designed by the architect Edward Alfred Sargent (1842-1914). The eighty-three acre city park known as Snug Harbor Cultural Center is placed on 1000 Richmond Terrace where the New York Bay ends and the Kill Van Kull begins. It has gone through three decades of restoration and conversion and once was a home for retired/aged sailors. It consists of twenty-eight 19th century buildings, including the Greek “Revival” Buildings that were built along the shore on Snug Harbor’s Grounds. It carries Staten Island’s Botanical Garden, a children’s museum, The Chinese Garden, the recently added exquisite Tuscan Garden, Arts Education facilities, and is also a venue and residency for several artists. The center hosts weddings and other events through “Celebrate with Snug Harbor”.