Richmondtown is one of the most highly sought after neighborhoods in Staten Island. It is located at the base of Lighthouse Hill and is located between New Dorp and Oakwood. It was “originally known as Cockles Town because of the abundance of oysters and clams that were found in Freshkills” but its name was changed in 1728 when the neighborhood now preserved as Historic Richmondtown was established, which is a living history village and museum complex. Also home to New York City’s only volunteer firehouse, Richmond Engine Company 1. The area is anywhere from upper middle class to affluent and has a variety of styled homes. It has been rapidly occupied since the early 1960s and is the number one neighborhood to be occupied by Brooklyn residents. Some its schools are PS 23: The Richmondtown School and Saint Patrick’s Elementary School. The neighborhood is engaging because it combines residential living with a piece of preserved history right at its core.